Guides and tools for organisers
- AdaCamp Toolkit - how to organise an unconference, with a focus on feminism. Includes guidance for venue planning, policies, and event communications.
- Scott Berkun - How to run a great unconference session - session formats, and suggestions for hosts.
- Mapping Mashups - How to host a #geowebchat
- Social Media Examiner - 5 Steps to Hosting Successful Twitter Chats
- The Engine Room - From ad-hoc meetings with a few colleagues to webinar-style large meetings, here are some tools we’re finding useful
- Tactical Technology Collective - Zen and the art of making tech work for you - how to create safe online and offline spaces for women and trans* activists, human rights defenders and others.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - Surveillance Self-Defense - how to practise safer online communication.
- The Coral Project - software tools for building better online communities.
- 18F Guides - Guides to content, accessibility, best practices for digital service teams.
- Do It Yourself: A Handbook For Changing Our World - Edited by Trapese (Pluto Press, 2007) (free download)
- Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution - Edited by Andrew Boyd and Dave Oswald Mitchell (OR Books, 2012) (free online)
- Civic Media Project learning guide - identify issues and address them through civic media projects (includes case studies).
- By Any Media Necessary: Mapping Youth and Participatory Politics companion reader - case studies of youth media projects.
- Engagement Lab guidebooks - experimenting with play and technology to engage people in real-world processes.
- School of Data's Guide for Guides - tips for running a data quest
- Buffer - When We Took Transparency Too Far: The Transparent Feedback Experiment - how transparency in an organisation can fail.
- Opensource.com - 5 open source alternatives to Trello - task list/project management tools.
- Open Transcripts
- Open communities vs closed communities - what's more inclusive? - Zara Rahman (2015)
- What makes a good community? - Sarah Sharp (2015)
- My trigger-warning disaster: "9 1/2 Weeks," "The Wire" and how coddled young radicals got discomfort all wrong - Rani Neutill (2015)
- FabRiders Training Hub - resources for using data effectively for advocacy, social change and social justice
- datatherapy - processes, tools and tutorials to help you present and share your data in creative ways
- Development Impact & You - toolkit on how to invent, adopt or adapt ideas that can deliver better results
- All Our Ideas - pairwise wiki surveys with crowdsourced questions (paper)
- Social Design Toolkit (Change for Social Design)
- Promoting and assessing value creation in communities and networks: a conceptual framework - Wenger, Trayner, de Laat (2011)
- The "Other Side" Is Not Dumb - Sean Blanda (2016)
- 9 Ways We Can Make Social Justice Movements Less Elitist and More Accessible - Kai Cheng Thom (2015)
- Separate guides and tools into stages of event: planning, execution, documentation
List of advocacy, volunteer and civic media organisations
- Compile a list of significant organisations; 122,000 NPOs in South Africa according to SANGONeT1.
- Entries should be categorised/tagged according to area of focus, e.g. social, economic, political, ecological, and location, so that it's easy to match relevant organisations in local community with topic of discussion.
- Consider an open dataset, if existing databases are insufficient. Fields: about, location, URL
List of tools for civic engagement
@todo Compile a list of online tools: web, apps, data portals, dashboards (e.g. Solomon), problem reporting tools (e.g. FixMyStreet), citizen-based monitoring, etc. Anything at local, provincial, and national gov level, but also non-gov (e.g. Atlas of Social Maps, CrowdVoice, projects similar to what one might find at Centre for Civic Media, Engagement Lab, Public Lab, etc.). Check projects on Code4Africa and Code4SA sites. Examples:
- People's Assembly
- Citizen-based Monitoring
- City of Cape Town Open Data Portal
- Citizen Justice Network
List of case studies on civic tech projects
@todo Consider adding a list of case studies on civic tech projects - to derive best practices from.
Updated: Mon, 2016-01-18 09:57